Packet of Spring Roll Pastry
250g Minced Meat
1 large carrot, julienne
1 cup of bamboo shoots
2 cups of white cabbage, julienne
1 stalk of celery, sliced thinly
2 tablespoons of Hoi Sin Sauce
1 teaspoon of five spice powder
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 tablespoon of cornflour mixed with 2 tablespoons of water
1. Take out a pack of spring roll pastry from freezer and allow 30 mins to defrost
2. Blanch carrots, bamboo shoots, celery and cabbage in boiling water until soft, drain and set aside
3. Heat oil in a wok and add meat and stir fry until cooked, add softened vegetables, combine well. Add Hoi Sin
Sauce, Five Spice powder, salt and pepper and cornflour paste. Stir thoroughly and place to one side to cool.
4. Remove pastry from plastic bag, cover this spring roll pastry with a wet cloth to keep it from drying.
Peel off pastry sheets as required.
To Roll Spring Rolls
* Place pastry with a corner facing you, so it looks like a diamond. If you're making large spring rolls use 3/4
cup of filling, if making mini spring rolls use 1 tablespoon of filling.
5. Centre the filling (so it looks like a sausage) on the pastry about 3 inches above the bottom corner.
6. Lift the bottom corner over the filling and roll once. Fold the sides over to enclose the filling. Continue to roll.
7. Seal the exposed corner of the pastry with cornflour paste to prevent the roll from opening whilst cooking.
To Cook the Spring Rolls
8. Heat 500ml of vegetable oil in a deep saucepan or deep fryer. When the oil is hot enough (170C)
add the spring roll and cook until the pastry is golden, approx. 5 mins for large spring roll and 3 mins for a mini roll
9. Drain spring rolls on absorbent paper. Keep the cooked spring rolls warm in the oven until ready to serve.
Serve with Soy or sweet chilli Sauce.
*Put back unused pastry into plastic bag and seal with tape before storing in freezer.
All ingredients for this recipe can be purchased from the shop.